NATIONAL ELIGIBILITY CUM ENTRANCE TEST (NEET)
FOR ADMISSION TO MEDICAL COURSES
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (Undergraduate) or NEET (UG), formerly the All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT), is an all India pre-medical entrance test for students who wish to pursue undergraduate medical (MBBS), dental (BDS) and AYUSH (BAMS, BUMS, BHMS, etc.) courses in government and private institutions in India and also, for those intending to pursue primary medical qualification abroad.
The exam is conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA), which provides the results to the Directorate General of Health Services under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and State Counselling Authorities for seat allocation.
NEET-UG replaced the All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT) and many other pre-medical exams conducted by states and various medical colleges. However, due to lawsuits being filed against the exam, it could not be held in 2014 and 2015.
After the enactment of NMC Act 2019 in September 2019, NEET-UG became the sole entrance test for admissions to medical colleges in India including the All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER) which until then conducted separate exams.
Exam pattern and structure
There are a total of 180 questions asked in the exam, 45 questions each from Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology. Each correct response fetches 4 marks and each incorrect response gets -1 negative marking. The exam duration is 3 hours 20 minutes (200 min). The exam is of 720 marks (maximum marks).
Since 2021, there has been a significant alteration in the format of the question paper. The latest structure includes two sections, i.e. A and B, in all four subjects, namely Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology. Section A comprises 35 mandatory questions, while Section B contains 15 questions, out of which 10 questions are to be answered, leading to a total of 200 questions, with 180 questions that can be answered.
The National Testing Agency (NTA) has been made the nodal agency for conduct of all India competitive exams and conducts NEET (UG) from 2019. The Central Board of Secondary Education conducted NEET between 2013 and 2018 before the setting of NTA.
As per the orders of the Supreme Court and the NMC Act 2019, a single medical entrance exam is conducted all over India for admission into medical and dental colleges, colleges and universities will not be able to conduct their own medical entrance exam and will accept students based on the All India Rank obtained in NEET (UG). After the declaration of the results, an All India Rank (AIR) is allotted to each candidate and a merit list is released. The National Medical Commission conducts counselling (allotment of seats according to merit and candidate choice) for 15% state seats, central institutes and deemed universities. The counselling for remaining 85% state quota seats and private colleges is done by the medical boards of respective states. States prepare their separate merit list on basis of NEET-UG results. The total number of seats offered under NEET as of 2022 are 177,126 (98,013 for MBBS, 27,868 for BDS, 50,720 for AYUSH and 525 for BVSc).
HOW I-WIN CAN HELP YOU
I-WIN LEARNING PORTAL & APP
I-WIN ONLINE CLASSES / RECORDED VIDEOS: